Thursday, February 19, 2009

Day 5 - Love God with all Your Mind and Strength

I have always had a tough time memorizing scripture.  I know it is important, but I've just never made it a spiritual discipline in my life like I should.  Day 5 made it crystal clear that if I want to Love God with all my mind I must start memorizing scripture.  I figure no better time than the present, so I tried while I was driving to pick up lunch for Emily at Chick-Fil-A to memorize Philippians 4:8, "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworhty, think about such things."  As I was trying to remember what came first "right" or "pure", I came to the stoplight at the intersection at Chick-Fil-A and a homeless man was standing there holding a sign.  I was in my own little world saying this scripture to myself while at the same time I could have reached out and touched the guy, he was that close to my car.  Then, I was reminded that while I was focusing on loving God with all my mind, there is also the love God with all my strength component.  If heart, soul, mind, and strength don't work together for some visible action, then my faith, is worthless.  We all have different feelings about the people that stand at those intersections with signs.  I have given them money occasionally, but most of the time I pretend they don't exist and go on about my "busy" day. Before my chance had passed, I rolled down the window, told him I was buying lunch at Chick-Fil-A, took his order, and in a very small way loved God with all my mind and strength for that moment today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment