Sunday, March 8, 2009

One Person Assignment- week 4

(From the 40 days of love material)

Forgiveness is often a two-way street- we need to ask for it and offer it.  The following questions can be hard to ask, but they are critical to your spiritual and emotional health.  Right now, ask yourself, "Who do I need to ask to forgive me?" "Who do I need to forgive?"

 Pinpoint the forgiveness issue.  Do you feel anxiety, anger, or other negative emotions towards anyone?  Could this be a cue that you need to release that person and work on forgiveness issues in your own life?

 Turn to God in prayer about this person.  If you've prayed about it before and it's still bothering you, don't give up.  You may use the following prayer as a model, inserting the person's name:

 Dear Lord,

I may not forget, but I'm choosing to forgive _____________.

I realize trust may take time to rebuild, but I choose to hold no grudges.  Help me to let go of bitterness or anger in my heart.  Give me your grace that I may relinquish my "right" to get even.  Help me understand that you have forgiven me and that I can forgive _______________ through you.  I trust in your power to do that.

Now Lord, I ask you to bless _________________ .  In particular, I ask you to bless them with these things: _____________________.

God, please replace my hurt with your healing.  Replace my pain with your peace.  Replace my loss with your love.  May the past truly be the past.  In Jesus name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment